Thursday, September 19, 2013

NO!

If you look closely, or not, this sign is not in English!  And, the little scrolling sign behind it is not in English! This morning, I get on the bus to head to the girls' school because Claire is getting an award for star student this week. I give myself one hour and I know I have to take this particular bus and then a short taxi ride and I will be there just in time to snap the picture of my baby.  I'm not confident on the bus system when I have a deadline, which is why this sign was painful this morning. 

The great thing about these buses is that you can use their website to plug in a route and know the bus number you need and the name of the bus stop.  All you need to do is hop on that bus number (going in the right direction, of course) and be ready to push the red stop button just before your designated stop. You push the button because the bus doesn't stop if no one is waiting to get on, or if no one on the bus wants to get off (I learned this the hard way one day as we passed by my stop). And how do you know your designated stop if you are new like me? You read that sign that scrolls in both Chinese and in English.  It even speaks in Chinese and English, unless you got on that bus this morning and the paper sign tells you it is going to do nothing of the sort! Oh my gosh!  

I quickly looked at the name of my stop and realized I can read the sign on the roadside and it will have the name I need, which I know, but I don't think I know the bus stop before my stop to give me the signal to push the stop button!  

It's unimportant how I did it, but I did it.  I pushed the button on time, I got off the bus, and I found a taxi at 9:25am, which is not always easy at that time of the morning as the sweet taxi driver told me, and I was off to school.  For my enjoyment, the driver also gave me a Cantonese lesson, telling me I should know how to say the name of this particular road in Cantonese.  He was not impressed with my pronunciation, and kept trying to work with me.  I swear he was driving slower to help me out!  I gave him my best because I thought it might be speed him up if he felt he was a good teacher. 

As I said, I made it.  She's a star, as we all know.


No comments:

Post a Comment