Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Cemetery

When heading to the girls' school we always drive by this cemetery in Happy Valley. Traffic is slow at times, so I can take a good picture, but you should google this cemetery and see a picture from the sky where you can get a visual of how massive it is. If I was unkind, I would have downloaded the picture with the cracked and taped side-view mirror that met its fate on our first morning to school.  But, I am kind, and I will not include.
I am going to include a clip from a CNN travel article about the cemetery.
Like many people in Hong Kong I assumed Happy Valley was so named because of the horse racing, and associated gambling, that took place there. But the area has a much more morbid genesis.
Back in the early days of British colonial rule in the 1840s, there was a high death rate from malaria and other diseases in Hong Kong. The area became a burial ground for victims of disease and was named "Happy Valley," a common reference to cemeteries in Victorian times. 



No comments:

Post a Comment