Friday, August 23, 2013

Lows and Highs

So the cultural lesson that lasted for nine hours on Friday was supposed to help Jeff and I understand what we've gotten ourselves and our children into, but I just found myself a bit shocked by the reality of this new life. I'm better at denial and ignorance until the sun comes out again.  Of course, this is a horrible way to live and I know that intellectually. On the brighter side, the cultural lessons helped me understand why I get the looks I get when I try to make small talk!

Speaking of looks, we were at dinner a few nights ago and I was describing something from this book I'm reading, The Devil in White City, and three different servers came to our table to ask what we needed. The first time, we mentioned that kids were waiting on their dessert, but I just thought it was good service to come and ask, although we didn't feel like the ice cream was late. The second time was another server and he looked specifically at me and ask if he could help; I, of course, told him all was well, and thanked him for his attention. The third time, I happened to look up and see two servers talking and looking in my direction, and then one came over and asked if he could help.  This is the time we clued in and told him we were fine, just telling a story. I was describing how George Ferris, in the book, was building his famous Ferris Wheel at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 (from the book).  Ellis was my only listener (and the waitstaff), but he was truly interested in the story, even though it wasn't about birds (his first interest).

No comments:

Post a Comment