Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Don't hold back

I usually don't have conversations with the taxi driver because I can't, until yesterday. Most of the drivers here seem to be much older and only speak Cantonese, but it seems to me the younger drivers speak Enlgish well, and yesterday we found ourselves in a taxi with a younger driver. Of course, that's a really broad statement, but I don't have time to be thoughtful about this story.

Now, I know better than to eat or drink in the taxi, but I was not thinking quickly when the girls and I hailed a taxi before they had finished their ice cream.  As soon as we stepped in the car, the driver mentioned the ice cream and I apologized saying we would get out of the taxi and find another (and wishing he wouldn't take me up on this).  He quickly said it was okay, but he asked for them to be careful.  Almost before he pulled away he said something really funny.  Let me remind you this guy is probably 25 years old and my girls are 7 and 10.
Taxi driver: " why you eat that ice cream?
Me: "oh, they love it"
Driver: "they get fat."
Me: "they don't care."
Driver: "Their boyfriend care."
There was no response I could give, so I just smiled, and the girls just laughed at the thought of someone thinking they would have a boyfriend someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment