Friday, November 29, 2013

Unexpected

We have not been wanting for Thanksgiving invitations, so I have been busy locating supplies to cook some of our favorite dishes to take to celebrations in our new friends' homes.  But, as I have said many times, shopping is never quick and easy (or cheap if trying to make certain American dishes), unless I'm in need of chicken feet or noodles, and even that is at least a short bus ride away. And, speaking of chicken feet, I had my first chicken foot at lunch today!  It might have been tasty, but I just couldn't get past the look - no matter how much breading and sauce, it still looked like the skinny foot of a chicken. I digress.

When this week arrived, bringing with it Thanksgiving and Taylor's 11th birthday, I knew I needed help, and help arrived through a sweet new friend (with a car) in our complex. She showed me the place and I was able to get almost everything I needed for the fraction of the price of my local market. The $12 for the cake mix is less than $2 USD, and the $5 for the jello mix is less than $1 USD. 

But, I was so excited to be in the store, I didn't use good judgment. Shocking, I know.  Honestly, when I was in the store, I only read "Chocolate Sponge Cake Mix" and "Strawberry Jelly Powder." In my mind, I was sure there would be English directions somewhere.  I mean, really, until 1997 HK belonged to the British for the previous 156 years. 

Thankfully, my Cantonese tutor arrived the next day and was able to translate the necessary instructions (my scribble at the top as she was translating).  I didn't want to stretch my tutor with the grams and mililiters because I knew I could go to my new Irish cookbook and get the further "translation" needed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment