Friday, November 15, 2013

Praising Progress

In the past three years I have probably read a dozen books on brain development, neuroplasticity, and memory.  I started reading these books to better understand learning differences, but I have learned far more than what I anticipated.
One interesting topic I came across in my reading is the idea of "praising versus encouraging." Okay, that's not what it's really called, but that's how I see it in my pea-brain. The research suggests children are better served if we encourage progress instead of praising acheivement. Does that make sense? It was a lightbulb moment for me. If I praise the progress, then the child learns that the actual work toward a goal is just as important as the goal. I did this all wrong for so long and I can see the results in one or two of my sweeties.  I thought I was ecouraging progress, but I was pushing progress with a few nice words here and there.  I praised the end result far more than I praised the work leading up to.  I mentioned the work and tried to be honest about the work, but the emphasis was on the wrong end, apparently. So, when the achievement came, it was all about praising the goal that was met. So, I'm changing it up around here (as if I'm not always changing it up around here).

To add movement to my information, I filmed Claire working on a cartwheel.  She and Taylor have just started taking gymnastics (this information will become rather clear when you see the video).  We are praising progress.
I want to be just as excited about the progress of this cartwheel as I am when she masters this.  Her stature at the beginning of each "cartwheel" leads you to believe you are going to get mastery. Surprise.

Here's the youtube link:
http://youtu.be/LceAqRsfnQw



No comments:

Post a Comment