Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Spring in Mongolia


While we were enjoying the warmth and beauty of spring in the US, Ellis was enjoying "spring" in Mongolia. We all packed up at the same time in early April- the four of us leaving for the southern US, and Ellis leaving for Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.

Back in the summer of 2014, Jeff and Ellis went to Mongolia for a boy scout camp. While they were there, they never got out of their long-sleeved shirts and long pants in August. But, I (living, as it were in the month of April in Hong Kong) didn't really let that register as I watched Ellis pack similar clothing for this trip. Thankfully, Ellis is keenly aware Mongolia is right next to Russia (he packed the down jacket and hat and wore it constantly except during the strange wrestling match).

The trip was one week with his high school youth group to visit and work at a place called Flourishing Future: https://www.flourishingfuture.com/ He came back so excited about this place because he felt they were truly meeting the marginalized where they needed to be met. Social justice runs deep in the blood of Forrest and Ellis, and I am super proud of them for that conviction.

But, because I'm not really writing about my social justice convictions on this blog, I will stay in the shallows (sorry boys). I'm going to focus on these really fabulous photos!

First, the eagle!
Just before Ellis went on this trip we watched a cool documentary called The Eagle Huntress https://www.amazon.com/The-Eagle-Huntress-Us/dp/B01JVAH4L2


He really is a good photographer.






While this looks like someone has just rescued Ellis from a hog-tying situation, I believe he was involved in a traditional wrestling contest, and apparently he won (or someone let him win).

I love this photo because you can see the tiny specks in the distance, which are Mongolian houses or gers. VAST and not a speck of green.

And, these are the Mongolia ponies. I wish I could see Ellis' legs because I am sure his feet are six inches from the ground:)

No comments:

Post a Comment