Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Finding the joy

I have to admit that I really love living here, but there are times when I miss all things American, like Target, and nice big SUVs, and roads that are forgiving if you don't know the way, and Target, and Target. 

But, then I find myself in a situation where there is just a little comfort from home given to me from above.  Like, the Fonz in the bathroom at dinner! Right in the middle of Mid Levels, Hong Kong above the toilet. It brings a smile to the face of 70s American girl. Right?



And, then there are times like these that allow me to find joy right where I'm standing. You just can't get this out of our middle aged American men.



But, then I have the grocery store (which I can't say because it's a "market' and no one knows what I'm talking about when I say "grocery store"), which is a painful reminder of all things missed in America. 

It's not that I can't get wonderful things in my local market. I can. For instance, I have an entire isle of canned fish, and I have seaweed in lunchbox servings, that my youngest actually likes, so I shouldn't complain. But, I don't really need an entire isle of canned fish. I really want to be able to buy Cherrios that don't cost $10 a box.




Then I have the take-home facial. Seriously, I have to pay $10 USD for Cherrios (actually, I don't pay for the Cherrios, I buy the silly HK version that cost $6), but I can buy these "Flower Face Up Rollers" to tone my aging face for the $2 USD.



But, this is the greatest reason I love living here. It's easy to find joy with him around!


No comments:

Post a Comment