Thursday, January 23, 2014

punishment

You know, I never seem to learn my lesson.

This is my son - my oldest, my baby, my leagacy - playing RUGBY!  What?  Is this punishment for all the years I bad-mouthed American Football, ranting about every medical study done on the affects of mulitple head injuries received while playing this "mindless" game. The boys really hate it when I use that word, and they make a point of telling me, when I do use that word, how predjudice I sound.  I deserve it, but I still seem to use "mindless" a bit too often.

So, rugby is really big here. HK was under British rule for something like 150 years, only ending that rule in 1997; and the Brits love rugby, so here it is.  And, every Sunday morning on our way to church, I see fifty or sixty little boys and girls, as young as five, playing rec league, preparing for the future (future of brain scans in my opinion, but that's bad-mouthing, apparently, and I'm moving away from that punishment-producing habit).

The first game sent one boy to the hospital, but this hardly stopped the game, and hospital visits seem to be the norm for game days. The woman sitting next to me at the game said she likes to be at all the games (her son plays with Forrest, but her daughter plays on the girls' varsity team, as well) because she wouldn't want her son to have to go to the hospital with someone other than her.  What? That's a reason to make sure I make it to the game? It is now!

And, finally, who picks these outfits?






No comments:

Post a Comment